Obviously, there can be no real conclusions about NBA rookies this early in the season. Any statistical evaluations or comparisons come with the usual disclaimer about small sample sizes. Much, much more evidence is needed.
Still . . .
Hawks rookie John Collins has been very efficient and productive over four games played. Collins impacted the game almost immediately when he checked in for the first time at Dallas and he really hasn’t stopped.
“Amazing,” Dennis Schroder said post-game in Dallas. “I thought he needed a little time but he was right there from the start.”
Before Tuesday night’s games, there were 19 rookies who had averaged 10 minutes or more in at least three games played. (Update: After Tuesday night’s games there are now 24 such rookies.) Here’s where Collins ranks in several statistical categories among those players, according to Basketball-Reference.
JOHN COLLINS (rankings in parentheses)
Collins has produced across the board but probably has made his biggest impact with rebounding. There’s a huge gap in that category from Collins to Ben Simmons, who was second in total rebounding percentage (15.5) and rebounds per 36 minutes ( 11.1). Collins also ranked ahead of Simmons in rookie PER as of Tuesday, but Simmons played 139 minutes vs. 77 for Collins. Those two stand out above the other rookies so far, at least in terms of production.
Again, it’s much too early to say what kind of player Collins can be. He is barely 20 years old and just started his NBA career. There also have been some rough moments. But Collins was very good in those 77 minutes and the productive start to his NBA career is a real bright spot for the Hawks amid their 1-3 start.
- Hawks already facing ‘tough year’ of playing hard but losing
- Ten observations from Hawks loss at Heat
- Ten observations from Hawks loss at Nets
- WATCH: Hawks rookie John Collins on first game vs. Dwight Howard
- Ten observations from Hawks loss at Hornets
- WATCH: Dwight Howard says ‘stupid’ to believe reports he was negative influence on Hawks
- Dennis Schroder puts on a good show for new-look Hawks
- Marco Belinelli ‘still not 100 percent’ but shows he can help Hawks
- WATCH: Hawks guard Josh Magette makes NBA debut at age 27
- Ten observations from Hawks victory at Mavs
- Hawks begin longest-ever trip to start season but opponents not fearsome
- Bettors back Hawks to exceed expectations
- Hawks practice report: ‘Gifted and talented’ defensively, ‘learning curve’ on offense
- Will the Hawks be NBA’s worst team? Experts make their predictions
- Hawks agree to contract with point guard Isaiah Taylor
- Hawks practice report: Budenholzer ‘open’ to 11-man rotation
- WATCH: Awful ‘overtime’ period at Hawks scrimmage
- WATCH: DeAndre’ Bembry reacts to Hawks picking up his contract option
- WATCH: Taurean Prince reacts to Hawks picking up his contract option
- WATCH: Hawks coach Budenholzer explains why team kept Magette over Cook
- Hawks exercise 2018-19 contract options for Prince, Bembry
- Hawks roster set. Here’s what it looks like
- Hawks to net two more draft picks in trade with Cavs
- WATCH: Kent Bazemore says Hawks ready for season
- Five observations from Hawks loss to Mavericks (exhibition)
- Hawks want to run but know ‘it’s not easy’
- Hawks practice report: Transition D still priority over offensive boards
- New Hawks style suits Bembry
- Hawks practice report: Belinelli ‘for sure’ he’ll be ready for season opener
- Hawks say ‘scrappy’ style gives them chance to exceed expectations
- WATCH: Hawks rookie John Collins on his NBA development
- Five observations from Hawks victory over Grizzlies (exhibition)
- Dewayne Dedmon (!) to shoot 3s as Hawks seek floor spacing
- Hawks waive John Jenkins, Jordan Matthews
- Can Hawks be fun to watch even if they don’t win many games?
- Five observations from Hawks victory at Cavs (exhibition)