The Hawks exercised the 2018-19 contract options for 2016 first-round draft picks Taurean Prince and DeAndre’ Bembry on Saturday. Under NBA rules teams have until Oct. 31 to pick up option years on rookie-scale contracts.
As the No. 12 overall pick (via Utah) Prince will make $2.53 million in 2018-19. His contract includes another team option for $3.48 million in 2019-20.
Bembry, the No. 21 overall pick, will make $1.63 million in 2018-19. The team option for 2019-20 is $2.60 million.
Prince and Bembry showed enough potential during their rookie seasons that picking up their third-year options is a no-brainer decision for the Hawks. It’s rare for NBA teams to decline picking up the third-year option for even disappointing second-year prospects because it’s usually worth it to keep them under team control and see if they develop.
Prince and Bembry will be eligible for contract extensions before the 2019-20 season in lieu of their options.
- Hawks roster set. Here’s what it looks like
- Hawks to net two more draft picks in trade with Cavs
- WATCH: Kent Bazemore says Hawks ready for season
- Five observations from Hawks loss to Mavericks (exhibition)
- Hawks want to run but know ‘it’s not easy’
- Hawks practice report: Transition D still priority over offensive boards
- New Hawks style suits Bembry
- Hawks practice report: Belinelli ‘for sure’ he’ll be ready for season opener
- Hawks say ‘scrappy’ style gives them chance to exceed expectations
- WATCH: Hawks rookie John Collins on his NBA development
- Five observations from Hawks victory over Grizzlies (exhibition)
- Dewayne Dedmon (!) to shoot 3s as Hawks seek floor spacing
- Hawks waive John Jenkins, Jordan Matthews
- Can Hawks be fun to watch even if they don’t win many games?
- Five observations from Hawks victory at Cavs (exhibition)
- NBA GMs: Collins is draft ‘steal,’ Budenholzer among best game coaches
- The best Hawks lineup, for now and the future
- Dewayne Dedmon immediately shows he can help the Hawks
- Five observations from Hawks loss at Heat (exhibition)
- Dennis Schroder is arrested, and I wonder if he’s ready to lead Hawks
- Is Mike Budenholzer on board with Hawks rebuild?
- Will NBA draft lottery changes hurt Hawks?
- VIDEO: Hawks guard Belinelli says he’s fitting in fast with new team
- Now healthy, Hawks Bazemore ‘in love with the grind again’
- VIDEO: Hawks guard Schroder on leadership, featured role in offense
- VIDEO: Hawks coach Budenholzer on offensive tweaks
- Malcolm Delaney: ‘People didn’t understand everything I had to go through’
- Here are the details on Hawks contracts
- Hawks to ‘practice harder’ so they can play faster
- Hawks now are Schroder’s show
- ‘Greater pace, greater space’ for Hawks? Sounds good
- Hawks GM Travis Schlenk Q-and-A Part 2: ‘Excited’ about 2018 draft class
- Hawks GM Travis Schlenk Q-and-A: ‘We are going to be competitive’
- Five things to watch at Hawks training camp
- Hawks player preview: Dennis Schroder
- Hawks player preview: Taurean Prince
- Hawks player preview: Miles Plumlee
- Hawks player preview: Mike Muscala
- Hawks player preview: Ersan Ilyasova
- Hawks player preview: Tyler Dorsey
- Hawks player preview: Malcolm Delaney
- Hawks player preview: Dewayne Dedmon
- Hawks player preview: Quinn Cook
- Hawks player preview: John Collins
- Hawks player preview: Nicolas Brussino
- Hawks player preview: DeAndre’ Bembry
- Hawks player preview: Marco Belinelli
- Hawks player preview: Kent Bazemore
- Hawks player preview: Luke Babbitt