Atlanta mayor Kasim Reed held a briefing Friday morning and discussed the Hawks ownership situation but no major news was announced. The AJC’s Scott Trubey was on the scene and reports the following:
– From his meeting last week with NBA Commissioner Adam Silver, Reed said the league is committed to Atlanta.
– He said there is lots of interest in the Hawks, including two international individual or groups and at least one party from Atlanta.
– Reed said the goal is to have new ownership by the end of the year. He said Atlantans won’t tolerate the process being dragged out. He plans to speak to controlling owner Bruce Levenson following the Jewish holiday.
– He will meet with prospective buyers and report to the NBA.
– Reed said he is not prepared to call for GM Danny Ferry’s resignation and will leave that to new ownership.
RETURN TO AJC.COM LATER FOR FULL STORY